A couple years ago I wrote an article for the Huffington Post on cleanses and how to give your body a healthy detox. The more clients I work with, the more research I read and the more I grow to understand the complicated mess that is the human body, the more it becomes clear that cleansing is an absolutely ludicrous concept. I was going to write a new piece on this exact topic, but the vast majority of what needs to be said can be found in this older article. Long story short:
Cleanses are money-grab schemes that can do more harm than good. There are no shortcuts for losing fat or getting healthy. If you think there are shortcuts, you are gullible and apt to waste a lot of time and money. The only way to help your body detoxify and return to homeostasis (remember, your body is constantly doing this 24/7 in an effort to keep you alive) is to do the following:
- Stop introducing drugs into your body. Take as much time as possible away from cigarettes, alcohol, coffee, marijuana or any other drugs you consume on a regular basis.
- Drink a lot of water, at least 1L per 50 lbs of body weight daily (bare minimum). Use filtered water if you’re extra concerned.
- Wash all produce thoroughly.
- Reduce or eliminate sugar and processed/fried foods.
- Exercise to a healthy sweat daily.
Doing these 5 things will do your body an incredible amount of good. No fancy smoothies or supplements necessary. The human body is an incredible organism and if you do the basics to enhance your natural metabolic state, you can get your body humming along without spending stupid money or going to unnecessary extremes.
If you’d like to read the entire article, head on over to the Huffington Post!
Have a happy holidays and if you need help setting or attaining your goals for 2016, don’t hesitate to let me know how I can help!